Integrating Digital Devices Into My Curriculum
My Decision Making Process
I decided to add multiple uses of Chromebook devices to my lesson plan this week for several reasons. The first reason, is my students currently use Chromebooks in the classroom. Another reason is, my students enjoying using Chromebooks. I also included Chromebooks because they lend themselves well to conducting research and using various digital collaboration tools with ease. I also considered the four factors for considering a device in the classroom from the reading this week.
"1. What is the complete range of learning activities that
students will engage in?
2. What content, applications, and resources
(e.g., peripherals) will students require?
3. How will the devices be managed?
What is the true cost of the device?" (Moore, 2014).
Chromebooks were a great option for each of the factors being considered. The range of learning activities in fourth grade are vast. Students need learning activities from hands on to inquiry. This week I focused on the content area of social studies. Specifically, a social studies lesson about the Branches of Federal Government. The standard support this content asks for students to identify and explain the function of the three branches of government in the federal government. For students to be able to explain the functions, students must have a deeper understanding of the functions and the purpose of the functions. I thought that this information could best be retained through the inquiry process. Students would also benefit from presenting the information to peers. So, for students to complete both inquiry and presentation as the range of learning activities, I thought it might be best to include a device that would allow students to use both inquiry and presentation with a collaborative tool. A Chromebook is the perfect device for the range of learning activities that students will engage in for this lesson.
As I mentioned previously, the content that will be required for students to research is the function of the three branches of federal government. This research will require access to several government websites. Also, since students will be digging deep into the functions of branches I thought it would be best for students to research one branch in a collaborative group. Then, each group will present so each student will gain the knowledge of all three branches while spending lots of time researching a specific branch that interests the student. For students to work in a collaborative environment to share research and create a collaborative presentation, students will need a resource that will allow students to do so. A Chromebook will allow students to work collaboratively with ease.
A Chromebook device can be easily managed. Since Chromebooks lend themselves with to G Suite, I can review all assignments that are shared with me. This will allow me to monitor each student's progress on each assignment. The cost of each device is $228.00 according to my school district. My students are already one to one with Chromebooks so, using these devices wouldn't cost anything extra.
All of Moore's factors lead me to the decision to use Chromebooks as the device in this lesson plan.
As I previously mentioned, I selected the functions of the three branches of federal government for the content of this weeks lesson plan because, for students to be able to explain the functions, students must have a deeper understanding of the functions and the purpose of the functions. I thought that this information could best be retained through the inquiry process. This inquiry could be completed through self-guided research. Students would also benefit from presenting the information to peers. This would allow students to gain an understanding of all branches of government functions.
Two Pieces of Technology
After exploring some new pieces of technology this week, there were two pieces that I am really interested in using in the classroom. The first piece of technology that I am interested in using in my classroom is Livescribe. Livescribe includes a "smart pen" and "smart paper". "The Livescribe smartpen captures everything you hear, write and draw - so you can be confident that you'll never miss a word" (Livescribe, 2017). I have included a graphic below that show how the smartpen works with several devices. Livescribe could be used in the classroom
Livescribe could be used in the classroom for students to take notes. In fourth grade, several standards require students to complete research and take notes. If students were able to use Livescribe, their note taking could be more effective which could improve their research. This tool could enhance learning because students could improve note taking skills. If students improved their note taking, they will record more information and gain more information. The cost of Livescribe is a little tricky. The pen itself costs $179.95. One notebook for the pen costs $24.95. A refill set costs $6.95. I would use this piece of technology almost daily. Students are conducting research almost daily in our classroom due to several project based learning projects. The projects require a lot of research and daily note taking to assemble a final product.
Another tech piece that I would be interested in using in my classroom is ClassFlow. "Designed by teachers for teachers, ClassFlow is cloud-based lesson delivery software with advanced collaboration tools for student engagement. Energize the classroom with interactive lessons, activities, quizzes, and millions of immersive resources from educators around the world" (ClassFlow, 2018). ClassFlow is a digital format for all things that are already in the classroom plus so much more! ClassFlow is full or pre-created interactive lessons. It also has a platform that lends to student collaboration with an online classroom management system in place. With all of these possible uses in the classroom, this tool could really enhance student learning in the classroom. This tool allows students to be in the drivers seat of their learning. There is individually student engagement, inquiry and pacing possible with this tool.
The cost of ClassFlow is Free! Teachers can sign up for a free account. I plan to use this tool in mathematics. It would be a great way for students to hear the content they are struggling with again and really interact with abstract math concepts such as fractions and decimals conversions.
References:



Livescribe sounds amazing. I just read another post where the educator shared they removed their SMART Board when their classroom went 1:1. LIvescribe appears like it would turn devices into your own personal SMART Board. This tool would be very beneficial for my kindergartners when learning how to compose numbers and letters. I feel like it would take the place of draw erase boards all together. I too could see myself using this technology daily and my students absolutely loving it. Great post! Thank you for sharing your research.
ReplyDeleteLivescribe sounds amazing. I just read another post where the educator shared they removed their SMART Board when their classroom went 1:1. LIvescribe appears like it would turn devices into your own personal SMART Board. This tool would be very beneficial for my kindergartners when learning how to compose numbers and letters. I feel like it would take the place of draw erase boards all together. I too could see myself using this technology daily and my students absolutely loving it. Great post! Thank you for sharing your research.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jade. Livescribe has captured my interest for sure! However, the cost is high. Would you anticipate having a set for classroom use or for each student? I'm wondering if it would be best for a school to buy a set and then teachers can 'rent' them as needed. Interest peaked!
ReplyDeleteI have also never heard of ClassFlow before. I love that it focuses on collaboration between students as I think this is a critical piece in education. Also, it sounds like there is a built in management system that helps students stay on task if their working at their own pace. Thanks for bringing these tools to my attention!