Learning Management Systems
I have really enjoyed further exploring Google Classroom as a Learning Management System. I used Google Classroom a little last year but, I know I need to conduct further exploration to completely dive into Google Classroom as Learning Management System for the upcoming year. I started by reviewing the timeline of Google Classroom. I found a great timeline from EdSurge. In summary, "Google Classroom launched in August 2014 and advertised itself as the one-stop-shop to save teachers time so they can focus on teaching. By October 2015, Google estimated some 10 million students and teachers were using it" (Siu, 2016). Google Classroom continued to grow and develop. Google Classroom launched new features for teachers to manage multiple classes. "In August 2016, Google added a guardian summary feature for parents to receive updates on their student's work, missing assignments or classroom announcements. Now comments, grading, assigning and working all exist on the free platform build on top of Google Drive" (Siu, 2016). Google Classroom plans to continue to grow and change as needs and technology continue to grow and change (Siu, 2016). I am looking forward to continuing to learn about Google Classroom features.
Google Features
After reviewing several Google Apps and pondering the possibility of using Google as a Learning Management System, I found that I loved all features of Google. I love the digital storage element and the collaboration that is possible. Some specific features that I enjoyed is the ability for students to collaboration on Google Docs and Google Slides. My current school district asks for teachers to assign a "grade" to student collaboration. Collaboration on Google Docs and Google Slides would allow me to have specific proof to assign a collaboration grade to.
Another feature that I really enjoyed is the digital storage element. I am excited to create Google Forms as "exit tickets" for mathematics instruction. These forms will be able to saved and accessed any where for years to come. I also like that student responses to Google Forms are saved within the Google Drive and can be accessed instantly from anywhere. This feature will serve as an online data book. I can review student performance data and use it guide my instruction. This feature could save a lot of paper and a lot of time.
Google as a Learning Management System
I could see using Google as a Learning Management system because I have used Google Classroom in my own classroom this year. I used Google Classroom as a Learning Management System during my engineering curriculum instruction known as PLTW. I organized the content of PLTW into a Google Classroom. Inside of the classroom, students worked through content at their own pace. Students completed assignments and assessments and submitted them through the Google Classroom. I love using Google Classroom for this content area because it allowed me to arrange all pieces of the unit in one place. This included all instructional materials, videos, assessments, etc. It helped my day to day planning run smooth and student learning had a natural progression.
I experienced great success with just this unit last year, I can see using Google Classroom as a full time Learning Management System this year. I look forward to trying new features.
Learning Management System from Classroom Enhancement
In my own classroom I can use a Learning Management system to increase collaboration and creativity. I strive to increase collaboration online because I know there is great importance of digital collaboration in the work force. If I am truly preparing 21st century learners for future careers, I need to ensure I am proving students an opportunity to learn to collaborate online. Also, students can learn so much from each other. A Learning Management Systems provides a safe place for students to learn to collaborate an learn from each other online. A Learning Management System can also help increase student creativity. All Learning Management Systems that I explored allowed students to submit various types of digital files (videos, music, etc.). A Learning Management System would encourage students to create and submit various types of digital projects. The increased type of file submission could inspire greater creativity in project/assignment submission.
Ideal Learning Management System
The Learning Management System that I would like to use is Google Classroom. I would like to use Google Classroom because I have some experience with it already. I would also like to use Google Classroom because there are so many additional tools and applications to try. My top ten list of features that a Learning Management System needs to have in my classroom are...
1. Collaboration
2. Limited tech issues with Chromebooks
3. Organized feedback system
4. Shared documents/presentation abilities
5. Allows for resource links/integration
6. Works with student email accounts
7. Easy for students to use
8. Allows for directions to be imbedded
9. Allows for assessments to be imbedded
10.Template format that just needs to be edited
Google Classroom is the only Learning Management System that meets all of my desires for a system in my classroom.
The Learning Management System that I would like to use is Google Classroom. I would like to use Google Classroom because I have some experience with it already. I would also like to use Google Classroom because there are so many additional tools and applications to try. My top ten list of features that a Learning Management System needs to have in my classroom are...
1. Collaboration
2. Limited tech issues with Chromebooks
3. Organized feedback system
4. Shared documents/presentation abilities
5. Allows for resource links/integration
6. Works with student email accounts
7. Easy for students to use
8. Allows for directions to be imbedded
9. Allows for assessments to be imbedded
10.Template format that just needs to be edited
Google Classroom is the only Learning Management System that meets all of my desires for a system in my classroom.
Pros and Cons of Google Classroom
Upon researching Google Classroom, I found a great review of Google Classroom. I agreed with each statement made in the review stating pros and cons. Some pros of Google Classroom are, "Easy to use and accessible from all devices, effective communication and sharing, speeds up assignment process, effective feedback, no need for paper, clean and user-friendly interface and great commenting system" (Pappas, 2015). My favorite pro is effective feedback. I have a goal of making learning more "visible" this year and I know that feedback will be essential. Google Classroom could aid in the feedback from student to student and teacher to student.
Some Cons of Google Classroom are, "difficult account management, limited integration options, too "googlish", no automated updates, difficult learner sharing, editing problems, no automated quizzes and tests and impersonal" (Pappas, 2015). The con that I am most concerned abut is editing problems. I had trouble with this during the school year. Unfortunately, when students made copies of my document and began edition themselves they could delete certain pieces of the assignment. This caused formatting issues and students re-created assignments. I have learned to always keep an original for students to access in the classroom.
Some Cons of Google Classroom are, "difficult account management, limited integration options, too "googlish", no automated updates, difficult learner sharing, editing problems, no automated quizzes and tests and impersonal" (Pappas, 2015). The con that I am most concerned abut is editing problems. I had trouble with this during the school year. Unfortunately, when students made copies of my document and began edition themselves they could delete certain pieces of the assignment. This caused formatting issues and students re-created assignments. I have learned to always keep an original for students to access in the classroom.
Impact of Learning Management System on Students
There are several points of impact that a Learning Management System could have on my students. I can speak specially about the impact that Google Classroom made on my students this year. My students became more self-directed learners. I found students diving deeper into the inquiry process because resources/links were readily available to them through the classroom. I also found an increase in student creativity during project completion. Students used a variety of digital tools and resources to complete final projects and assignments. I also found that through having "voice and choice" in assignment completion types, students had greater engagement and higher academic achievement. All of these noticings occurred by using Google Classroom as a learning management system for just one unit.
There are several points of impact that a Learning Management System could have on my students. I can speak specially about the impact that Google Classroom made on my students this year. My students became more self-directed learners. I found students diving deeper into the inquiry process because resources/links were readily available to them through the classroom. I also found an increase in student creativity during project completion. Students used a variety of digital tools and resources to complete final projects and assignments. I also found that through having "voice and choice" in assignment completion types, students had greater engagement and higher academic achievement. All of these noticings occurred by using Google Classroom as a learning management system for just one unit.
Impact of Learning Management System on Parents/Guardians
I believe there is also a great impact on parents/guardians when using a Learning Management System in the classroom. Parents would be able to see what is truly happening the classroom. Learning objectives/goals would be present inside the system. Also, parents would be able to view student learning progression and assignment completion progressions. A Learning Management System would also provide parents with resources to help struggling students at home. Parents could review material with students who have gaps in their learning. If using a Learning Management system similar to Google Classroom, students could even comment on student work. Overall, a Learning Management System would strengthen the school to home connection helping students and families feel supported in the learning process.
Overall, I am looking forward to further exploration and usage of Google Classroom as a complete Learning Management System in my classroom next year.
I believe there is also a great impact on parents/guardians when using a Learning Management System in the classroom. Parents would be able to see what is truly happening the classroom. Learning objectives/goals would be present inside the system. Also, parents would be able to view student learning progression and assignment completion progressions. A Learning Management System would also provide parents with resources to help struggling students at home. Parents could review material with students who have gaps in their learning. If using a Learning Management system similar to Google Classroom, students could even comment on student work. Overall, a Learning Management System would strengthen the school to home connection helping students and families feel supported in the learning process.
Overall, I am looking forward to further exploration and usage of Google Classroom as a complete Learning Management System in my classroom next year.
References




No comments:
Post a Comment