Technology in my Classroom
The current status of technology in my classroom includes all of my students are one-to-one with Chromebooks. Students use their Chromebooks daily to conduct research and complete assignments. Some other small pieces of technology in my classroom include; a media projector, overhead sound with Bluetooth connect-ability and a document camera. Daily use of technology in my classroom from a student perspective includes using Google Classroom at the start of every day to check our "Daily Agenda". The agenda is full of links to morning work options that include a type of digital game, assessment or lesson. Students leave their own devices prior to the lesson for each subject during the day. After the mini lesson students return to their devices at some point during rotations/centers. This use includes assessment, videos, games, collaboration opportunities, reflection and personalized menus.
The direction that I would like to head with technology is further personalization. Towards the end of this year I just started exploring personalization through "personalization menus". My building principal provided a few ELA examples for our building to experiment with. One example covered the topic of Figurative Language. This menu looked similar to a game board, I have provided a screenshot of the board below. Each square of the game board focused on a specific type of figurative language. Students were to explore each resource in each box. When the students completed a box they filled in the box. I used this board with my students because figurative language is a major focus of our curriculum. My students loved the board. They asked to use boards like this one more often. All of my students were proficient with figurative language standards by the end of the unit. So, I would love to continue improving personalization using technology in the classroom. This is just one example but, it was enough to convince me that personalization needs to be my focus in upcoming school years.
Link to Figurative Language Personalization Menu: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13w9HpKTMNslM-Mrc02jDIkiI6V0FWR0vAh1woXV_wh8
My Top 3 Elements of a 21st Century Classroom
My top 3 elements of a 21st century classroom are collaboration, creativity and communication. My top element is collaboration because work place environments are calling on staff members to collaborate more. If we are preparing students for the 21st century workplace we must teach students how to respectfully share ideas on a vast media of platforms. This includes face to face and digital environments.
My second element for 21st century classrooms is creativity. Students are living in a world of personalization, constant change and constant choices. I believe that teachers who are seeing an increase in student push back are not allowing students to be apart of the creativity process. When students have "voice and choice" in the classroom they feel more empowered and ready to take on challenges that interest them.
The third element for a 21st century classroom is communication. 21st century students are raised with several tools to stay in constant communication outside of the classroom. With a large majority of students having access to WiFi, cellular devices and data and Social Media students are used to constant communication. It only makes sense to embrace this desire in the classroom for education use. Teachers now have the opportunity to teach students how to be quality digital citizens while also students content knowledge. Allowing students to use a safe communication digital tool can inspire students to collaborate and ask questions in real time from peer and teachers.
All three of these elements are part of our students' daily lives. It is our turn to embrace these elements and change the classroom environment with our 21st century learners.
Type of Learning Environment
The type of learning environment that I would like to create for students is an environment that helps students feel safe in failing. I want my environment to support "failing forward". Previously I discussed my top three elements of a 21st century classroom. These are elements that I desire to be in my ideal environment but, these elements won't be successful without a "failing forward" supportive culture. I know that this environment is essential for our world of constant communication. We must build environments for our children/students that support each other instead of provide constant opportunities to tear each other down.
I also want to create a learning environment that encourage student voice and choice. I believe that personalization helps student become deeper learners because each student is making a choice about their learning. This could include choice in subject matter, types of final projects, assessment, etc. Allowing students to have a voice increases engagement. Increased engagement increases student achievement.
Resources to Create the Desired Learning Environment
The first resource that I have to create my desired learning environment is Conscious Discipline. This is a management resource that has changed my entire classroom environment. This resource has helped me understand how to help student manage emotions and overcome challenges. This is a helpful resource when working with challenges of the 21st century because it helps students embrace change, challenge and critical thinking. These are all required to be mindful and guide ones individual path toward successful personalization. Another resource that I have to help me create this learning environment is my building learning and innovation coach. Our innovation coach is full of several ideas and resources to help create a learning environment that matches individual teaching styles. I am looking forward to sharing this blog with her and discussing possibilities for the upcoming school year.
I love reflecting on technology in the classroom. I love throwing out resources that are out of date and jumping in with new technology to improve student success. Technology is such an essential piece of today's classroom environment.
Link to Figurative Language Personalization Menu: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13w9HpKTMNslM-Mrc02jDIkiI6V0FWR0vAh1woXV_wh8
My Top 3 Elements of a 21st Century Classroom
My top 3 elements of a 21st century classroom are collaboration, creativity and communication. My top element is collaboration because work place environments are calling on staff members to collaborate more. If we are preparing students for the 21st century workplace we must teach students how to respectfully share ideas on a vast media of platforms. This includes face to face and digital environments.
My second element for 21st century classrooms is creativity. Students are living in a world of personalization, constant change and constant choices. I believe that teachers who are seeing an increase in student push back are not allowing students to be apart of the creativity process. When students have "voice and choice" in the classroom they feel more empowered and ready to take on challenges that interest them.
The third element for a 21st century classroom is communication. 21st century students are raised with several tools to stay in constant communication outside of the classroom. With a large majority of students having access to WiFi, cellular devices and data and Social Media students are used to constant communication. It only makes sense to embrace this desire in the classroom for education use. Teachers now have the opportunity to teach students how to be quality digital citizens while also students content knowledge. Allowing students to use a safe communication digital tool can inspire students to collaborate and ask questions in real time from peer and teachers.
All three of these elements are part of our students' daily lives. It is our turn to embrace these elements and change the classroom environment with our 21st century learners.
Type of Learning Environment
The type of learning environment that I would like to create for students is an environment that helps students feel safe in failing. I want my environment to support "failing forward". Previously I discussed my top three elements of a 21st century classroom. These are elements that I desire to be in my ideal environment but, these elements won't be successful without a "failing forward" supportive culture. I know that this environment is essential for our world of constant communication. We must build environments for our children/students that support each other instead of provide constant opportunities to tear each other down.
I also want to create a learning environment that encourage student voice and choice. I believe that personalization helps student become deeper learners because each student is making a choice about their learning. This could include choice in subject matter, types of final projects, assessment, etc. Allowing students to have a voice increases engagement. Increased engagement increases student achievement.
Resources to Create the Desired Learning Environment
The first resource that I have to create my desired learning environment is Conscious Discipline. This is a management resource that has changed my entire classroom environment. This resource has helped me understand how to help student manage emotions and overcome challenges. This is a helpful resource when working with challenges of the 21st century because it helps students embrace change, challenge and critical thinking. These are all required to be mindful and guide ones individual path toward successful personalization. Another resource that I have to help me create this learning environment is my building learning and innovation coach. Our innovation coach is full of several ideas and resources to help create a learning environment that matches individual teaching styles. I am looking forward to sharing this blog with her and discussing possibilities for the upcoming school year.
I love reflecting on technology in the classroom. I love throwing out resources that are out of date and jumping in with new technology to improve student success. Technology is such an essential piece of today's classroom environment.

No comments:
Post a Comment