ISTE Standard 1: Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity: Teachers use their knowledge of
subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences
that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face
and virtual environments.
Indicator b: Engage students in exploring real-world issues and
solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources.
Artifacts and Description
This year I had the opportunity to attend Project Based Learning (PBL) training provided by the Buck Institute for Education. Our school district sent myself and two of my grade level colleagues to the training. We had step by step training on writing a PBL for our content area. The PBL we designed is for our 4th Graders study of the Bill of Rights. The artifacts presented in this blog will be from the Bill of Rights PBL and will support ISTE Standard 1 Indicator b.
Artifact 1
Artifact 1 is the Project Design: Overview from the PBL. Specifically, the Driving Question. This is the question that guided our creation of the PBL. One of the major goals of a PBL is for students to solve a real-world problem using a variety of resources.
This piece of evidence was chosen because it displays the Driving question for the PBL. The Driving Question addresses the indicator because it shows the purposeful creation of a PBL that asks for students to; explore real world issues created/solved by the Bill of Rights and offer solutions to these authentic problems. The teaching situation that will occur with this artifact is this question will be written on anchor chart paper and placed in the center of our board. It will be presented at the introduction to the PBL. I will reference this driving question several times throughout the PBL.
Artifact 2
This piece of evidence is the Project Design: Overview from the PBL. Specifically, the Entry Event LAUNCH. The Entry Event LAUNCH to the PBL is how students will be introduced to the PBL and the Driving Question of the PBL. Part of this Entry Event Launch is a courtroom simulation using iCivis.com. This Artifact also displays a screenshot from iCivics.
First, this piece of evidence is the Project Design: Overview from the PBL; specifically, the Entry Event LAUNCH, was chosen as evidence because it engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using a digital tool/resource. The Overview was included to show the purpose of iCivics in the PBL. The actual digital tool, iCivics, presents students will real-world issues and asks students to solve authentic problems. As seen in the example given the student is the lawyer and must review "Tamara Typer's" case and decide if she has a right or not. The teaching situation for this artifact is it will be an entry event for students so it will be presented at the at the beginning of the lesson. Students will be given the link and allowed to play the game to gain some exposure to the content.
Artifact 3
Click the link below to see Artifact 3. Artifact is the PBL overview. Inside of the PBL overview is a "Project Calendar". The project Calendar maps out each day of the PBL instruction.
The project Calendar starting at week 2 describes how students will be exploring real world issues that led to amendments to the constitution. This evidence was chosen because it details the research project that students will complete to engage in exploring real-world issues that caused amendments to the constitution. This calendar also displays the progression of the trials that will occur as a public capstone to the PBL. Students will pair up and become a team of lawyers. This artifact addresses the indicator by the team of lawyers being presented with a real-world issue. Students will then prep with their partner to solve the authentic problem. The calendar displays this progression alongside a variety of digital tools/resources, including a Wiki, that students will use to prepare for the trial. As seen in the final days of the calendar we will have a mock trial in the classroom for students to try and solve the authentic problem that is presented by a member of our community who feels they are being treated unfairly.
Artifact 4
This Artifact is a link to a Wiki that I have created to assist the PBL. The Wiki is a digital tool/resource that students will use to explore real-world issues. The specific page of the Wiki that I have linked below engages students in a variety of other digital resources to build knowledge of the Bill of Rights. This page also asks students to use the digital tool of Google Docs to collaborate with peers to add research together. Finally, this Wiki page asks students to use Screencast-o-matic to present the researched amendment.
This artifact addresses the indicator because the Wiki is a digital tool full of digital resources that engages students in exploring real-world issues that have generated amendments. The Wiki also asks students to use a variety of digital tools and resources to present their research solving authentic problems. The teaching situation for this artifact is that each page of the Wiki will be worked through each day. This particular page, students will move through at their own pace. I will introduce the page and then students will work over a few days to complete all of the assignments within the Wiki page.
Analysis
First, I chose to create the Bill of Rights PBL because I am very excited to implement it with my class. With all of the events that are occurring in our society today regarding government, I have felt such a need for students to do their own critical thinking regarding these current events. I see such a need for the youth to be educated about our government right now and how it has come to be. Also, with the current events that are occurring students have expressed some perceptions that are generated by incorrect digital resources. This has also pushed me to find a means to educate students about quality digital tools/resources to learn about our government and change. I wish nothing more for my students than to learn how to be peaceful problem solvers. I chose this indicator of ISTE Standard 1 because I wanted a platform to share this PBL to help other teachers who are struggling to teach students about peaceful problem solving and the right and purposes of our government. I wanted to spotlight real-world problem solving in the community with quality and accurate digital resources.
I was very specific in the evidence that presented to represent ISTE Standard 1. I wanted the evidence to showcase the PBL. I know the PBL is very lengthy and could be very difficult to sort through but, I also know that students have such a need right now to learn how to solve real world problems with the support of quality digital tools and resources. I chose Artifact 1 because it displays the driving question of the PBL. It show my thinking, reasons and motive for writing and implementing this PBL in my classroom. Artifact 1 addresses the standard because the driving question is, "How can we as 4th graders help community members who feel they are being treated unfairly?". Artifact 1 shows that this driving question was asked prior to the PBL being designed. I found it so imperative that students explore real-world issues and generate peaceful solution to authentic problems that I designed an entire PBL to support. This artifact meets the standard because it shows that the PBL is designed to engage students in a variety of ways to explore real-world issues in the community and solve these authentic problems.
I selected Artifact 2 because it displays that even the Launch of the PBL shows deliberate planning to engage students in real-word issues. To give greater detail about the Launch, I plan for students to enter the classroom on Monday. There will be directions on the board that only girls can set at seats and boys must sit on the floor for the entire day. As students begin to ask questions about why, I will tell them that I have just created a new classroom rule. This piece of the launch meets the standard because it will be a example of the real world issue of gender rights. The other piece of this artifact is a screenshot from the second piece of the PBL Launch. iCivics presents students will a citizens real-world issue. The student will then have to find a solution to the authentic problem using the Bill of Rights. This meets the standard because students will be exploring real-world issues and solving the authentic problem using the digital tool/resource of iCivics. This game with prepare students for the mock trial they will be experiencing later in the PBL.
I selected the PBL Project Calendar as Artifact 3 because it shows the daily progression of student learning throughout the PBL. The daily progression will model the exploration and problem solving progress using digital tools and resources. The Project Calendar meets the standard because Week Two, Day 1, details the presentation of the Driving Question of the PBL. Followed by Day 2 that asks students to use the digital tool "Bill of Rights" Wiki that I have created. Students will use this tool to explore the real-world issues that lead to the amendments. Students will present this information in a digital presentation to their peers. Day 5 students will be introduced to the mock trial portion of the PBL. Students with then find a real-world issue that he/she is passionate about. Students will explore a variety of digital tools and resources from my Bill of Rights Wiki that will help each student create possible solutions to the real-world problem as the Bill of Rights as support. At the end of Week 3 students will be partnered up based on the real-world issue chosen. Once in groups students will prepare to defend their client in court using a variety of digital tools and resources for support. Upon reviewing the project calendar one can see that this artifact meets the standard by the calendar describing the progression of engaging students in exploring-real world issue and then solving the authentic problems in a mock trial. This will only be possible if students use the digital tools and resources appropriately.
Finally, I selected Artifact 4 because it is an essential digital tool and resource of the PBL. Students will use this Wiki page to be the main engagement in exploring real-world issues that have generated amendments. This leads to the artifact meeting the standard because the Wiki page is a digital tool full of digital resources that engage students in exploring real-world issues that have led to amendments. For example, a student might be interested in Freedom of Speech. The student will use a variety of resources to research how Freedom of Speech was a real-world issue that caused an amendment. This student would collaborate peers who are also interested in this amendment. After the research is complete students will use the digital tool screencast-o-matic to show what they have learned and share with their peers by posting the screencast in the Wiki.
I believe that I can safely say that the entire PBL meets ISTE Standard 1 because the entire project asks students to view real-world problems and generate a solution. Students will use digital tools and resources throughout the entire project to build background knowledge and defend their client in the mock trial.
Reflection
Upon reflecting on meeting ISTE Standard 1 Indicator b, I believe that I have both strengths and weaknesses in using the Bill of Rights PBL to meet this indicator. I believe the Wiki as a part of the PBL is a great strength in meeting this standard. I believe that the Wiki is a great digital tool for students to explore real-world issues. I was able to fill the Wiki with a variety of resources that I know are quality for students to explore. This makes it easy for students to be engaged in exploring instead of wasting time searching through resources that are not quality. An area of weakness that I have in meeting this indicator is that students are not using a lot of digital tools and resources to actually solve authentic problems. I believe that I am on the right track with using iCivics. I believe that I need to create some additional resources that allow students to truly solve an authen problem using digital tools. When I think of meeting this in a better way I immediately think of computer science/coding. I just don't know enough to include this into my PBL at this time. This will be a major area of improvement for me. Recently, I have been attending a lot of STEAM professional development opportunities and STEAM Fairs in hopes of finding a new resource that would easy for me to implement into the classroom.
With that said, I feel that this entry was very meaningful for me. It truly showcases my learning throughout this course. I have never used a Wiki or PBL. Both are completely new avenues. With that said, I have never been so excited to implement a project or digital tool as I am to implement the Wiki and PBL. I see so much value in this unit that I have created and I can't wait to see how student learning is impacted from this change in my instruction and use of digital tools/resources. I look forward to using additional Wiki's and PBL's in my future in the classroom.
Indicator c: Promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information.
Artifacts and Description
In my classroom this year I began a journey using a digital portfolio tool known as Seesaw. Seesaw's possibilities are endless. Seesaw serves a home to school connection, grade book, social media outlet and blog to name just a few possibilities. The element of Seesaw that I use the most to meet this indicator is the portfolio with comments. The digital portfolio serves as a hub for social interactions to promote and model digital etiquette.
Artifact 1
To begin using Seesaw students had to learn the importance of being safe online. I taught several lessons about choosing what to post online. I used several resources provided by Seesaw. Students practiced posting online. We learned what is safe to put online and what are some things that are not safe to put online. Below is a brief overview of the unit for students to learn what is safe to post online.
This piece of evidence was chosen because it is the structure of the unit of instruction I used to teach digital citizenship. At the beginning of the year I was a first year teacher who was struggling to integrate the technology available in my classroom. All of my students are one to one with iPads and my students were begging to use the technology as much as possible. I began heavily researching resources available that would allow for daily use that would also support, facilitate, and deepen student learning. While also teaching students 21st century skills and proper online etiquette. During this research I found Seesaw. Seesaw is a student driven digital portfolio that "empowers students to independently document their learning and provides an audience for their work-their peers, parents, or the world" (Seesaw, n.d.). I discovered that Seesaw had benefits for students, families and teachers in the classroom. The major piece of research that convinced me to try this resource was the benefits listed for teachers. "For Teachers; Seesaw saves you time on organization and parent communication, makes formative assessment easy, and provides a safe place to teach 21st Century skills" (Seesaw, n.d.). While exploring Seesaw I discovered Artifact 1. This served as the structure of my unit of instruction. At the beginning of the unit we discussed "Wow work". This was complied of several lessons that taught students to post work they are proud of online not just picture. I promoted students posting things they are proud of not negative things online. We also discussed the digital etiquette responsibility to post online with an explanation of what is going on. This prevents others from misinterpreting what is posted online. Finally, we discussed posting online public information online and avoiding posting private information online. We looked at teacher-created examples of postings online and sorted the examples into a group of examples that could be posted online and a group that examples that should not be posted online. This artifact addresses the indicator because the main goals of the unit in the artifact gave me an opportunity to promote and model digital etiquette prior to letting students post online.
After students learned what to post online we began studying and practicing online interactions.The first type of interactions that students engage in using Seesaw are, parent to student interactions. At the start of the school year parents joined me for a Parent Information Night. During this time we all practiced using Seesaw and I modeled several examples of digital etiquette when communicating online. I selected this evidence because is a tool that really helped me understand the type of digital interactions I was looking for. I felt confident that these types of interactions would promote and model digital etiquette. I explained to parents that they would be able to comment on each of their students posts on Seesaw. I gave details about what students post and the importance of commenting on students work. With this conversation, I discussed how to comment on student work in a respectful way to promote and encourage students. One of the resources that was most helpful during this conversation was a few posters from Seesaw regarding modeling digital etiquette in social interactions using the site. Below is an artifact from one of the posters I am referencing.
You can find the entire poster at the following link: https://docs.google.com/a/student.liberty.k12.mo.us/document/d/1lc6HfKvRzZc6WDb8wqjEauUmfwwwFuuM2cy-Dah_gAo/edit?usp=sharing
Seesaw also allows for students to interact student to student. These interactions take several different shapes but the most common was structured for weekly reflections. In the above example, Blayne is the student who posted her reflection initially. Adelyn, another student in the class, commented on Blayne's post. Blayne and Adelyn model the ideal student to student interaction using digital etiquette. I chose this piece of evidence because most commonly, I see students slip into short hand or slang when talking with peers in a digital format. In this particular artifact, both Adelyn and Blayne are having a positive interaction. These interactions are heavily scaffolded and practiced but, this two girls now have the knowledge to have a responsible social interaction because due to the modeling of digital etiquette with Seesaw. This artifact addresses the indicator because it is showing that with the proper promotion and modeling, responsible social interactions are possible with Seesaw.
This piece of evidence was chosen because it is the structure of the unit of instruction I used to teach digital citizenship. At the beginning of the year I was a first year teacher who was struggling to integrate the technology available in my classroom. All of my students are one to one with iPads and my students were begging to use the technology as much as possible. I began heavily researching resources available that would allow for daily use that would also support, facilitate, and deepen student learning. While also teaching students 21st century skills and proper online etiquette. During this research I found Seesaw. Seesaw is a student driven digital portfolio that "empowers students to independently document their learning and provides an audience for their work-their peers, parents, or the world" (Seesaw, n.d.). I discovered that Seesaw had benefits for students, families and teachers in the classroom. The major piece of research that convinced me to try this resource was the benefits listed for teachers. "For Teachers; Seesaw saves you time on organization and parent communication, makes formative assessment easy, and provides a safe place to teach 21st Century skills" (Seesaw, n.d.). While exploring Seesaw I discovered Artifact 1. This served as the structure of my unit of instruction. At the beginning of the unit we discussed "Wow work". This was complied of several lessons that taught students to post work they are proud of online not just picture. I promoted students posting things they are proud of not negative things online. We also discussed the digital etiquette responsibility to post online with an explanation of what is going on. This prevents others from misinterpreting what is posted online. Finally, we discussed posting online public information online and avoiding posting private information online. We looked at teacher-created examples of postings online and sorted the examples into a group of examples that could be posted online and a group that examples that should not be posted online. This artifact addresses the indicator because the main goals of the unit in the artifact gave me an opportunity to promote and model digital etiquette prior to letting students post online.
After students learned what to post online we began studying and practicing online interactions.The first type of interactions that students engage in using Seesaw are, parent to student interactions. At the start of the school year parents joined me for a Parent Information Night. During this time we all practiced using Seesaw and I modeled several examples of digital etiquette when communicating online. I selected this evidence because is a tool that really helped me understand the type of digital interactions I was looking for. I felt confident that these types of interactions would promote and model digital etiquette. I explained to parents that they would be able to comment on each of their students posts on Seesaw. I gave details about what students post and the importance of commenting on students work. With this conversation, I discussed how to comment on student work in a respectful way to promote and encourage students. One of the resources that was most helpful during this conversation was a few posters from Seesaw regarding modeling digital etiquette in social interactions using the site. Below is an artifact from one of the posters I am referencing.
Artifact 2
You can find the entire poster at the following link: https://docs.google.com/a/student.liberty.k12.mo.us/document/d/1lc6HfKvRzZc6WDb8wqjEauUmfwwwFuuM2cy-Dah_gAo/edit?usp=sharing
This artifact was selected because parents were essential in promoting and modeling digital etiquette. Students will follow their parents lead in online social interactions. Parents also serve as a digital etiquette educator. Artifact 2 addresses the indicator because it shows the expectation I shared with parents on how to promote and model digital etiquette. Also, parent interactions are not only for the promoting and modeling of digital etiquette but also holding students accountable for their own work and use of technology. An example of this interaction can be seen below as a comment to a student from a parent regarding a performance on an assessment.
Artifact 3
Artifact 3
These first few Seesaw interactions were most of my students' first online social interactions. After students post their initial work, it was followed by a parent comment which prompted a student to parent interaction.
Artifact 4
The student to parent interactions I modeled heavily for students in the beginning of the year. Initially, students began practicing posting a response with a capital letter. Then posting a response the next time using a complete sentence. I continued modeling skill after skill until students were ready to have a complete social interaction online. Students would have two and three opportunities a day to practice. The above artifact is one example of a student to parent interaction. Blayne uploaded an assignment that she felt met "Wow Work" but, she was still worried that it wasn't perfect. She was able to express her concerns in a 2nd grade digital etiquette format. She was instantly able to receive a response from her dad Bob. He was able to reassure her and she commented back showing she was ready to move on after she received her dad's support. I selected this example of a social interaction because it was able to happen from Blayne's dad and I promoting and modeling digital etiquette, as the indicator states, with the help of Seesaw.
Artifact 5
Artifact 6
Cruz is the student in this video. He is posting his weekly reflection. In the video Cruz is giving a reflection of his week. His accountability partner Jack responds to his post. Each student posts their initial reflection post. Then, an accountability partner and other peers may comment on each other's post discussing the learning from the week. Danny and Melinda are also commenting on the post. Danny and Melinda are Cruz's parents who are modeling the perfect combination of peer and family interactions online. I selected this artifact because it is a perfect model of the power of responsible social interactions. This artifact combines all of the previous artifacts in one. There is a balance of etiquette and light-hearted encouragement. This artifact displays to students that all interactions online should be responsible and positive.
Analysis
First, I knew my students needed a lot of explicit instruction and practice with online etiquette. My students had been digital citizens since Kindergarten, if not before. Even with all the experience online, I quickly noticed my students needed improvement with responsible interactions and use of technology information. Seesaw is a safe place to practice digital etiquette and responsible social interactions. I knew that this resource would become my "secret weapon" in helping students gain digital etiquette and have responsible social interactions online. I was excited to have a resource that would allow me to instruct and monitor each individual students progress towards this goal of responsible social interactions. Artifact 1 is a thin structure of the unit of instruction I implemented in my classroom to promote digital etiquette. We began by learning about how and why each student would be using Seesaw. We discussed the types of work we would be posting online. Seesaw coins this term as "Wow Work". After students understand what to post and why, we spent several lessons regarding how to avoid posting personal information online. I chose to share this artifact because it was a guide to help me get started and I think it could be a great starting point for others. Artifact 1 became my instruction manual. This artifact meets the indicator because it is the guide to instruct students using "I Do, We Do, You Do". It showed me how to model digital etiquette. This artifact was the backbone of teaching my students to be responsible digital citizens this year.
The first example of Seesaw promoting and modeling digital etiquette and responsible social interaction related to the use of technology and information is teaching families of my students to be models of digital etiquette. Student families were a major key in the promoting and modeling of digital etiquette. At Parent Information Night, I spoke with all of my students' families. I modeled digital etiquette and social interactions using Seesaw. I displayed several student examples and we practiced a responsible social interaction together. Seesaw provided several resources that I shared with parents during this time. The parents were extremely receptive and excited to promote safe online interactions with their students. I chose Artifact 2 because it is an instructional tool that I used during my instruction with parents. Artifact 2 is one of several posters that I presented and shared with families. This resource discusses several ideas to interact with students in a positive manner since parents will be commenting on a variety of student learning. I also used this same poster when teaching students to comment responsibly on other peer's work. This artifact address the indicator because it was an instructional tool in teaching both parents and students proper digital etiquette when commenting on other students work. In the following artifact you will support this claim about meeting the indicator.
Artifact 3 displays a responsible social interaction with digital etiquette from Evelyn's mom. I quickly noticed that students were very eggar to begin interacting with their parents. I spent the next few weeks modeling student to parent interactions using Seesaw. As a whole group, we would practice responding to real comments left by parents. We would draft responses together. Our guiding models were a resource from Seesaw. This artifact supports Artifact 3. I chose this artifact because it shows a parent comment. It is the perfect model of digital etiquette in a responsible social interaction. At this time, the interaction is one sided. As mentioned, I used these initial parent comments to model digital etiquette in a whole group setting. Artifact 4 is the specific example that supports my claim about meeting the standard. You will see a student and a parent interacting in a responsible social interaction.
I selected Artifact 4 to showcase a successful two sided interaction between student and parent. This Artifact also shows the power of student and parent interaction during the day. Alongside meeting the standard, it also showcases the accountability and reassurance that occurs with the possibility of digital interaction during the school day. This artifact meets the standard because it is a model of the promoting and modeling by both the parent and I to promote a responsible social interaction between the student and parent.
I selected Artifact 5 because it is a student to student interaction. Of all interactions, I feel this is the most important to promote and model due to the presence of social media in our society today. Several of my students already discuss social media outlets like Facebook and Instagram. Compared to the parent instruction, the student instruction I spent the most time promoting and modeling student to student interactions. Artifact 5 is a post from Blayne. She is uploading her weekly reflection. Her accountability partner Adelyn comments on Blayne's reflection. Both students share in an interaction regarding the work. I selected this artifact due to the responsible social interaction that occurs from the promotion and modeling in our classroom. All students will need these skills in life with the popularity of social media and the increased negative interactions that can occur on these outlets. Again, this artifact combines a responsible social interaction with 21st century conversation of my students. This artifact supports my claim about meeting the indicator because the screenshot from Seesaw displays a responsible social interaction using digital etiquette.
Artifact 6 is also a weekly reflection recorded by Cruz. I selected this artifact because it is the perfect model of several social interactions that are responsible and follow digital etiquette. Jack is a student in the classroom who commented on Cruz's video. Cruz's parents Danny and Melinda also comment on Cruz's work. All of these interactions follow the format that was promoted and model. These interactions will promote and serve as a model for future responsible social interactions online. That is how this artifact meets the indicator. The evidence that supports my claim of meeting the standard is in the interaction. Through my previous instruction both students and parents are having responsible and safe social interactions online using Seesaw. These interactions will set the stage for students to interact in future online communication settings throughout their lives.
Overall, all of these artifacts are pulled from my 2nd Grade classroom Seesaw account. Seesaw was the main instructional tool to promote and model digital etiquette. Seesaw creates a safe environment for students to practice responsible social interactions while allowing me to promote and model as necessary.
Reflection:
Upon reflecting on my experiences promoting and modeling digital etiquette, I felt very successful with the help of Seesaw. At the end of the year I became an Ambassador for Seesaw. This allows me to work directly with Seesaw to learn more ways to promote responsible digital citizenship. I really don't know what I would have done without Seesaw this year. I believe that all teachers should use Seesaw to promote digital etiquette. It allows the teacher to monitor all interactions to use the interactions to promote and model responsible interactions while also allowing students to have an authentic online communication experience. Seesaw really does insure that the indicator is being met in the classroom.
To reflect on my own strengths, noticing the need for direct digital etiquette instruction at the beginning of the year is what I consider my best strength. I can't imagine what our classroom online social interactions could have looked like without the promoting and modeling digital etiquette that Seesaw allows. In 3rd Grade students in my building will move from being one to one with iPads to one to one with Chromebooks. I fell confident that I have provided students with a strong foundation of digital etiquette prior to gaining their Chromebooks. I was also asked by my administrator to host a week long PD in our building to teach other teachers about the possibilities of Seesaw. I now feel a strength of mine is being an advocate for teaching other students how to use the Seesaw resource to teach students digital etiquette.
With that said, there are a few weakness in meeting this indicator that I would like to improve on in the future. Most of my students left with an understanding of digital etiquette using Seesaw. I would like to see if what students learned about digital etiquette would transfer to another resource. Another weakness in meeting this indicator is providing authentic social interactions with students outside of our classroom. Seesaw has a blog option that allows our class to communicate with classrooms all over the world. I would like to promote more worldly experiences using responsible social interactions.
Observing my students journey to responsible digital interactions and digital etiquette, provided the meaningfulness of this entry. Even as a new teacher I was extremely nervous for the one to one technology in my classroom. I was worried about management of the devices, incorporating technology into my instruction, making the use of technology meaningful. I was worried about all of these things when I really needed to be diligently preparing digital citizens first. Technology in the classroom is of no use if students don't know how to be responsible digital citizens. I am incredibly glad that I found Seesaw as a resource to aid the promotion and modeling of digital etiquette. This entry was created to show the importance responsible social interactions while also showcasing a resource that can help all teachers meet this indicator in their own classrooms.
As previously mentioned, I would like to see if what students learned about digital etiquette would transfer to another resource. I have researched another resource known as Edmodo. This resource appears like Facebook. It is the same color and template. Like Facebook, it promotes digital interactions. Next year I will use this resource with my students to make sure what students have learned about digital etiquette transfers to other responsible online interactions. Also, being a Seesaw Ambassador I am constantly attending training opportunities. I am committed to improve and provide more experiences for responsible social interactions. I highly encourage all teachers to try Seesaw to meet this indicator. I challenge other teachers to become ambassadors to embark on new ways to promote and model digital etiquette using this amazing resource.
In conclusion, I have added an email from a parent that was sent to my administrator and I. I feel that this parent's email summarizes how the use of Seesaw throughout the year in my classroom has met the indicator to promote students who can have responsible social interactions through the promoting and modeling of parent, student and teacher interactions.
References:
EMPOWER STUDENTS AND ENGAGE FAMILIES WITH SEESAW (n.d.). In Seesaw Student Driven Digital Portfolios. Retrieved June 26, 2017, from https://web.seesaw.me/
ISTE STANDARD 6
ISTE Standard 6: Educators facilitate learning with technology to support student achievement of the 2016 ISTE Standards for Students. Educators:
Indicator a: Foster a culture where students take ownership of their learning
goals and outcomes in both independent and group settings.
Description
In the Fall of the 2018-2019 school year, my building plans to make Visible Learning the main initiative for the building. It is my plan to make visible learning present in my fourth classroom through a blended learning environment. Specifically, a combination of the flipped model and the station rotation model. My blended learning station rotation/flipped model will be used for a mathematics unit of instruction to meet the following standards and learning goals.
These learning goals will guide the unit. The physical environment of my classroom for this unit will consist of, 3 tables, seating six to eight students each. Students will rotate through the following stations.
At Station 2, students will watch a flipped lesson video created by me, and then complete a Google Form to show individual student learning. I created my flipped lesson video using Screencast-O-Matic to record myself using the drawing tool of Seesaw. The video for this lesson is less than four minutes because I know the recommended flipped video is half of the students age which in my case would be 4 minutes. Students will watch the video and complete the Google Form within the Station 2 Folder of Edmodo independently. This station will also be the teacher station because I will be able to instantly see individual student performance on the Google Form. I will meet with any students who need additional help at this time.
At Station 3, students will complete a math menu. This is a menu created on Google Drawing. The menu is full of links to videos, games, and formative assessments to help meet individual needs of students. The menu will also allow for students to select a final project of choice. The math menu and final project turn in will be located in the station 3 folder of Edmodo. Staiton three will be completed individually but, will also be a teacher station. If a student is struggling with the check-ins in the menu I can meet with the student individually or in a small group.
Overall, this unit of converting fractions to decimals with denominators of 10 or 100 will be guided by a blended learning hybrid of flipped learning and station rotation. All blended learning elements will be housed within the learning management system of Edmodo. There are three stations that will make up the blended learning model.
Standard
4.NF.C. Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal fractions.
(Denominators of 10 or 100) 9. Use decimal notation for fractions with denominators of 10 or 100.
(Denominators of 10 or 100) 9. Use decimal notation for fractions with denominators of 10 or 100.
Learning Goals
- I can change fractions to decimals when the fraction has a denominator of 10.
- I can change fractions to decimals when the fraction has a denominator of 100.
These learning goals will guide the unit. The physical environment of my classroom for this unit will consist of, 3 tables, seating six to eight students each. Students will rotate through the following stations.
Station 1
Station 1 asks for students to research the uses of decimals in the world. I will encourage students to use KidRex as their primary search engine. Students will be familiar with this search engine from years prior and the beginning of the school year. After students have completed their research, I will ask students to create a Google Drawing to display their learning. There are several classroom examples/ideas of Google Drawings to share with students from Matt Miller. Students will submit their completed Google Drawing in the Station 1 Folder of Edmodo. This entire station will be completed independently.
Station 2
At Station 2, students will watch a flipped lesson video created by me, and then complete a Google Form to show individual student learning. I created my flipped lesson video using Screencast-O-Matic to record myself using the drawing tool of Seesaw. The video for this lesson is less than four minutes because I know the recommended flipped video is half of the students age which in my case would be 4 minutes. Students will watch the video and complete the Google Form within the Station 2 Folder of Edmodo independently. This station will also be the teacher station because I will be able to instantly see individual student performance on the Google Form. I will meet with any students who need additional help at this time.
Station 3
At Station 3, students will complete a math menu. This is a menu created on Google Drawing. The menu is full of links to videos, games, and formative assessments to help meet individual needs of students. The menu will also allow for students to select a final project of choice. The math menu and final project turn in will be located in the station 3 folder of Edmodo. Staiton three will be completed individually but, will also be a teacher station. If a student is struggling with the check-ins in the menu I can meet with the student individually or in a small group.
Overall, this unit of converting fractions to decimals with denominators of 10 or 100 will be guided by a blended learning hybrid of flipped learning and station rotation. All blended learning elements will be housed within the learning management system of Edmodo. There are three stations that will make up the blended learning model.
Analysis
I chose to showcase the blended learning hybrid model of station rotation and flipped classroom because it is the unit with the most student ownership that I have ever created. With my new knowledge from this course and my building's new visible learning initiative, I have created a unit of instruction that fosters a culture where students take ownership of their learning goals and outcomes in both independent and group settings. The first step in creating this unit was establishing the standards that guide the unit and creating strong student learning goals in student friendly language. So, I developed the following learning goals from the standard.
My rationale for selecting this artifact because it is a menu designed for students to take complete ownership of their learning goals and outcomes in an independent setting. Students are only required to complete two boxes of the menu. Students can build their knowledge as far back as an overview of fractions. This evidence meets the indicator because students are in complete control of filling any gaps in their knowledge. Students can also make the choice move straight to the final project to demonstrate mastery of the learning goals and outcomes. This math menu was a tool to organize student ownership and help students have a safe and easy tool to find quality resources to help meet the learning goals and outcomes at their own pace and individual learning needs.
Overall, each station of the station rotation/flipped model of blended learning in this unit fosters a culture where students take ownership of their learning goals and outcomes in a independent and group setting. I see so much potential for this blended learning unit to ensure that all students are masters of learning outcomes for the unit.
Standard
4.NF.C. Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal fractions. (Denominators of 10 or 100) 9. Use decimal notation for fractions with denominators of 10 or 100.
Learning Goals
- I can change fractions to decimals when the fraction has a denominator of 10.
- I can change fractions to decimals when the fraction has a denominator of 100.
After deciding on the learning goals that would drive the unit, I wanted to create a document that could guide students through the entire unit but, would foster student ownership of the learning goals. I created a Standards Mastery Checklist to guide students.
Evidence #1
Flipped Mastery Unit Checklist
Click the link to view the entire Flipped Mastery Checklist
This checklist is modeled after Mr. Hull's Flipped Mastery Unit Checklist. The checklist is created to guide students through the unit. The unit will cover the content area of mathematics. Specifically, converting fractions with denominators of 10 or 100 to decimals. Each student will have the checklist as a Google Document that will be shared via Edmodo within the Station 1 Folder in the Library tab. Each student will make a copy and share the individual document with me and edit as the student progresses through the unit. Students will complete the steps in a blended learning station rotation model. So, students will control their own path and pace. Also, students will always be able to work on the final step upon completing any other steps. My rationale for selecting this artifact is, it is an example of how students can take ownership of their learning goals and outcomes in an independent setting. Students will be able to pace their own learning. They will know the final learning outcome on the very first day. Students can scroll down to the top of the checklist and know all of the learning goals/outcomes for the entire unit. Students will also have a lot of ownership in their learning with the checklist. Students will have to complete all steps to participate in activities the final project. The checklist allows for students to have more ownership of their learning goals and outcomes then ever before in my classroom which matches ISTE Standard number 6 well.
After creating the design of the checklist I needed to create all of the pieces inside of the unit that were listed within the checklist. That is why I created station 2 with a flipped lesson and Google Form. I chose to use a flipped lesson because it can be paused, and replayed as many times as a student desires prior to completing the Google Form.
My personal favorite piece of the unit and the piece that I believe encourages the most student ownership of learning goals is within station 3. This year, I was able to experiment with personalization in the classroom. I modeled my math menu for station 3 after another teachers personalization menu within my district. The math menu only requires students to complete two "boxes". Within these two boxes are three activities for 10's conversions and 100's conversions. These activities will continue to build and support the new knowledge from this unit. The last activity within each of the required boxes is a Google Form check-in. Students will be able to view their individual performance instantly. If a student isn't proficient there are several other boxes within the menu to complete to help students master the learning goals. Students can complete as many additional boxes to build mastery of the learning goals. Student can also seek teacher assistance at this station. The final project for the unit is also housed within the math menu. Students get the choice of four projects to showcase mastery of the learning objectives. The red corners of the math menu provide the choices for the project. Overall, the menu is a choice board to build and finalize mastery of the learning objectives. Students will make a copy of the document and share it with me so I can track individual student progress.
After creating the design of the checklist I needed to create all of the pieces inside of the unit that were listed within the checklist. That is why I created station 2 with a flipped lesson and Google Form. I chose to use a flipped lesson because it can be paused, and replayed as many times as a student desires prior to completing the Google Form.
Evidence #2
Once a student feels ready to move on from the lesson then, the Google Form can be completed. If a student perform well on the Google Form they can take the ownership and rewatch the flipped lesson. Also, this will be a teacher station so the student can take ownership and meet with me to improve proficiency of the learning goals. My rationale for selecting this piece of evidence is for student ownership of learning which is also how ti addressed the ISTE indicator. If I were to teach this lesson in a face to face setting, student can only hear the message one. This might work for some students but, for students who struggle with the content, there is minimal areas for owning limited understanding of the learning goals. If a student is able to watch the lesson again, they can own limited understanding of the learning goals. Also, with the Google Form completion, student can own limited understanding of the learning goals and rewatch the lesson or seek teacher assistance within the station. After reviewing the standards mastery checklist students know they will be required to demonstrate proficiency of the learning goals multiple times during the unit so, they should take ownership now and seek further assistance if needed to be proficient.My personal favorite piece of the unit and the piece that I believe encourages the most student ownership of learning goals is within station 3. This year, I was able to experiment with personalization in the classroom. I modeled my math menu for station 3 after another teachers personalization menu within my district. The math menu only requires students to complete two "boxes". Within these two boxes are three activities for 10's conversions and 100's conversions. These activities will continue to build and support the new knowledge from this unit. The last activity within each of the required boxes is a Google Form check-in. Students will be able to view their individual performance instantly. If a student isn't proficient there are several other boxes within the menu to complete to help students master the learning goals. Students can complete as many additional boxes to build mastery of the learning goals. Student can also seek teacher assistance at this station. The final project for the unit is also housed within the math menu. Students get the choice of four projects to showcase mastery of the learning objectives. The red corners of the math menu provide the choices for the project. Overall, the menu is a choice board to build and finalize mastery of the learning objectives. Students will make a copy of the document and share it with me so I can track individual student progress.
Evidence #3
My rationale for selecting this artifact because it is a menu designed for students to take complete ownership of their learning goals and outcomes in an independent setting. Students are only required to complete two boxes of the menu. Students can build their knowledge as far back as an overview of fractions. This evidence meets the indicator because students are in complete control of filling any gaps in their knowledge. Students can also make the choice move straight to the final project to demonstrate mastery of the learning goals and outcomes. This math menu was a tool to organize student ownership and help students have a safe and easy tool to find quality resources to help meet the learning goals and outcomes at their own pace and individual learning needs.
Overall, each station of the station rotation/flipped model of blended learning in this unit fosters a culture where students take ownership of their learning goals and outcomes in a independent and group setting. I see so much potential for this blended learning unit to ensure that all students are masters of learning outcomes for the unit.
Reflection
Upon reflection of this unit, I recognize the math menu as my greatest strength. I believe that students will be able to address in gaps in prior knowledge that are required to make this unit successful. While students who are ready to demonstrate their mastery of the learning objectives can do so. The menu truly does allow for all students to take ownership of the learning goals and objectives at their own pace and ability. Some weaknesses that I have found in this unit are the opportunities for students to take ownership of their learning goals and outcomes in a group setting. Students are working in stations together but, they are not collaborating. I would like to design another unit that supports greater collaboration. I believe that I create another unit with a mastery checklist and math menu but in a better support group setting. I believe I would have greater success with supporting a group setting with a different content area such as social studies where students would need to work together to solve a problem. The meaningfulness of this entry was to see that I could organize a blended learning environment that fosters a culture where students take ownership of their learning goals and outcomes. I believe I have completed this task with this unit and I am excited to try it in my classroom and observe for strengths and weaknesses within the unit once students are working. I do look forward to any improvements and also designing a future unit that supports a group setting.
















No comments:
Post a Comment